My first charity is therefore going to be JDRF – a type 1 diabetes research charity (https://www.jdrf.org.uk), working to carry out basic research into causes, cures etc. and also better tools to manage diabetes day to day. My second aim of course, is to demonstrate to anyone out there that diabetes is something to be overcome and is not a reason to limit your ambition.
Secondly is Highfields School, my son’s special school who are trying hard to raise money for a new school minibus. So far they’ve done a great job with raffles, bake sales etc. but every little helps.
- 31st Dec 2013 New Year’s Eve 10k – last year, 108th overall, 21st in my age group, current PB 43:50.
- Sunday 1st June 2014 - The Yomp Mountain Challenge – a 23 mile Fell race – last year I did this in 4 hr 25 min three days before my diabetes diagnosis. Last year’s position, 35th, 32nd male.
- 1st August 2014– 40 mile Ultramarathon at Grimsthorpe – 40 at 40, third time lucky I hope as I dropped out with injuries the last two attempts. I’ve done 40 miles in 8 hours before, so looking to be nearer 7 this time around
- September – Half Marathon, a local one and a flat course. Should be good for a fast time, current PB 1:42:24
- 31st Dec 2014 New Year’s Eve 10k – back to the speedwork again, may be stretching it to get another PB here